Sunday, April 24, 2011

How do I become a resident of California If i live in Phoenix?


How do I become a resident of California If i live in Phoenix?
Hi, I'd like to know how to become a resident of California. I live in Phoenix, Arizona and I want to attend a school in California, MI, and it says to qualify for loans, I have to be a resident of California. How would I become a resident? Do I have to live their for a year??? I hope I dont, and if I do, can I still qualify for the loans if I live there, but havn't been living there for a year? Please help, thanks.
Immigration - 3 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
For school purposes you must live about a year in the State to be consider a cAlifornia resident. You might be able to qualify for loans and scholarships as a non-resident of the state, but I do not know if the school is going to charge more fees for not being a resident. So, the loan might not cover the full amount. Another thing you can do to get the resident status is-if you are not independent- whomever is living with you and supporting you can claim the residency part. For instance, if you are living with your dad in Arizona, but move in with your mom in California, as long as she has been living in CA for at least a year and she supports you, she can request for you to be consider a resident of CA. Hope it helps.


2
Yes you have to live here for a year prior to your date of application to college. If you know someone here you can say you have been living here and use their address, as long as it does not clash with your being in Arizona during that time.


3
While there is a California Township in Michigan, my guess is that the "MI" is a misprint, or something, since there is no school there. I guess you are interested in the State of California. If you are under 18, your residence is that of your parents. If you are 18 or over, just living in CA as a student is NOT going to make you a resident for tuition purposes. At a minimum, unless you are married or 24 years old, you will have to prove financial independence from your parents. Check out this site, and be sure to follow the links for further information: http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/ca_residency.html However, for other purposes you may be a resident (if 18 or over) if you demonstrate an intent to remain in CA permanently and not return to AZ. BTW, claiming that you lived in California when you did not would be fraud and/or perjury. I don't recommend it.

Popular Posts